What Causes Visual Studio To Fail To Load An Assembly Incorrectly?
I had been happily coding along on a decent sized solution (just over 13k LOC, 5 projects) which utilizes Linq to Sql for it's data access. All of sudden I performed a normal build and I received a sweet, sweet ambiguous message:
Error 1 Build failed due to validation errors in C:\xxx\xxx.dbml. Open the file and resolve the issues in the Error List, then try rebuilding the project. C:\xxx\xxx.dbml
I had not touched my data access layer for weeks and no adjustments had been made to the DBML file. I tried plenty of foolhardy tricks like re-creating the layout file, making copies and re-adding the existing files back to the project after restarting Visual Studio (in case of some file-level corruption); all to no avail.
I forgot to wear my Visual Studio Skills +5 talismans, so I began searching around and the only answer that I found which made sense was to reset my packages because Visual Studio was not loading an assembly correctly. After running "devenv.exe /resetskippkgs" I was, in fact, able to add the dbml file back to the DAL project and rebuild the solution.
I’m glad it’s fixed, but I would rather also gain a deeper understand from this experience. Does anyone know how or why this happens in Visual Studio 2008?
New Edit: 10/30/2008THIS WAS NOT SOMETHING THAT JUST HAPPENED TO ME. Rich Strahl recently wrote on his "web log" about the same experience. He links to another blog with the same issue and used the same action.
I have encountered this issue a few times since this original post as well, making me think that this is not some random issue. If anyone finds the definitive answer please post.
TBH, I have had a couple of instances like this where files "seemed to go crazy".. However, upon investigation it has appeared that the files have changed in some way, shape or form.. (e.g. sometimes changes can be made to the file by inadvertantly changing a property somewhere that seems unrelated).
I think there are too many possible issues that could really cause this, and based on the fact that the problem has been resovled, it seems like an answer will not be found..
- → React Native with visual studio 2015 IDE
- → Where to find example Visual Studio 2015 project(s) using typescript and React?
- → How to configure Visual Studio 2015 to write JSX in ASP.NET 5 (RC) with intellisense
- → How to make this simple TypeScript + React app work with Visual Studio 2015?
- → Format liquid(Shopify) code in visual studio code
- → Typescript intellisense without emitting require
- → How to display shopify free them output on my laptop using visual studio code?
- → Visual Studio Code - how to debug node.js routes?
- → Visual Studio cordova, simple way to "live reload" on Android devices?
- → --allow-live terminal command for shopify development
- → compile typescript with a visual studio code task, specifying the output directory
- → How to highlight all symbol appearances in python code with PTVS?
- → What is the location of the Python tools for Visual Studio?