Visual Studio 2005 Setup Project Install Crashes Over Terminal Server
I have a setup project created by Visual Studio 2005, and consists of both a C# .NET 2.0 project and C++ MFC project, and the C++ run time. It works properly when run from the main console, but when run over a Terminal Server session on a Windows XP target, the install fails in the following way - When the Setup.exe is invoked, it immediately crashes before the first welcome screen is displayed. When invoked over a physical console, the setup runs normally.
I figured I could go back to a lab machine to debug, but it runs fine on a lab machine over Terminal Server.
I see other descriptions of setup problems over Terminal Server sessions, but I don't see a definite solution. Both machines have a nearly identical configuration except that the one that is failing also has the GoToMyPC Host installed.
Has anyone else seen these problems, and how can I troubleshoot this?
I had LOTS of issues with developing installers (and software in general) for terminal server. I hate that damn thing.
Anyway, VS Setup Projects are just .msi files, and run using the Windows installer framework.
This will drop a log file when it errors out, they're called MSIc183.LOG (swap the c183 for some random numbers and letters), and they go in your logged-in-user account's temp directory.
The easiest way to find that is to type
%TEMP% into the windows explorer address bar - once you're there have a look for these log files, they might give you a clue.
- Note - Under terminal server, sometimes the logs don't go directly into
%TEMP%, but under numbered subdirectories. If you can't find any MSIXYZ.LOG files in there, look for directories called
2, and so on, and look in those.
If you find a log file, but can't get any clues from it, post it here. I've looked at more than I care to thing about, so I may be able to help
- → React Native with visual studio 2015 IDE
- → Where to find example Visual Studio 2015 project(s) using typescript and React?
- → How to configure Visual Studio 2015 to write JSX in ASP.NET 5 (RC) with intellisense
- → How to make this simple TypeScript + React app work with Visual Studio 2015?
- → Format liquid(Shopify) code in visual studio code
- → Typescript intellisense without emitting require
- → How to display shopify free them output on my laptop using visual studio code?
- → Visual Studio Code - how to debug node.js routes?
- → Visual Studio cordova, simple way to "live reload" on Android devices?
- → --allow-live terminal command for shopify development
- → compile typescript with a visual studio code task, specifying the output directory
- → How to highlight all symbol appearances in python code with PTVS?
- → What is the location of the Python tools for Visual Studio?