Something Good & Something Bad About SharePoint
I'm trying to wrap my head around SharePoint. Why is it good? Why is it bad?
At a glance it appears to offer some incredible collaboration tools. However, the cost looks astronomical and it seems to be rigid & difficult to customize.
To those who've worked with SharePoint; please describe something good and something bad about it.
- Document management is its most well-known function and integrates extremely well with Office 2007.
- Create group calendars that can be overlayed onto your personal Outlook and managed on the web.
- Notifications in response to certain actions on the group website
- Wiki-type functionality with full integration into the Office stack.
- Full database backend which gives you the reliability and safety of a true RDBMS.
- Extremely customizable if you choose to develop custom websites using ASP.NET (not the built-in wizard/gui editor).
- Form-data collection
- Freebie version is somewhat limited on customization.
- How to handle multiple editors to a single file is not obvious.
- Workflow for offline editing of documents is non-obvious.
- Very steep learning curve to use it the right way.
- Getting people to use it is like getting people to go to the dentist.
- Out-of-the-box templates don't do a lot.
- Customizing without writing code really limits your options.
- Integration with older versions of office is ugly
- Mac integration is non-existant (has this changed recently?)
- → Licensing system for client side code web application
- → Can ASP.NET AJAX partial rendering work inside a SharePoint 2007 application page?
- → Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS) and Forms Authentication - Passing those credentials to other ASP.NET Forms Authentication Apps
- → Bypass invalid SSL certificate errors when calling web services in .Net
- → Errors creating WebPart subclass in another assembly
- → Do I have to use InfoPath forms for every task within a SharePoint workflow?
- → How do I check if a Sharepoint Document Library has the Require Approval flag set, using the Sharepoint API?
- → Jquery - JS Clear table before new search, whitin function or out?
- → Automatically open Office add-in on SharePoint Online
- → Knockout unable to process binding in a specific function
- → Reformat list to grouped structure