Not Recognising Hyphen On Split
I'm working with about 24k text files and am splitting some lines on '-'. It works for some files, however it fails to split for some other files.
company_participants is a list with
N >= 1 elements, with each element consisting of a name followed by a hyphen ("-"), followed by the job title. To get the names, I use:
names_participants = [name.split('-').strip() for name in company_participants]
On closer inspection, I found that it does not recognise "-" as "-" for some reason.
For example, the first element in
company_participants is "robert isom - president"
company_participants.split() returns "-" since I've split on whitespace, and the hyphen is the third element (index 2).
When I then run a boolean on whether this is equal to "-", I get False.
company_participants.split() == "-" # Item at index 2 is the hyphen # Output = False
Any idea what's going on here? Is there something else that looks like a hyphen but isn't one?
So I found that this has actually been answered elsewhere on StackOverflow.
Apparently I'm dealing with a "dash" and not a "hyphen"; couldn't see the difference with me naked eyes but when I copied the symbol from here, then it recognised it such that
company_participants.split() == "–" returned True.
Thank you StackOverflow!
- → What are the pluses/minuses of different ways to configure GPIOs on the Beaglebone Black?
- → Django, code inside <script> tag doesn't work in a template
- → React - Django webpack config with dynamic 'output'
- → GAE Python app - Does URL matter for SEO?
- → Put a Rendered Django Template in Json along with some other items
- → session disappears when request is sent from fetch
- → Python Shopify API output formatted datetime string in django template
- → Shopify app: adding a new shipping address via webhook
- → Shopify + Python library: how to create new shipping address
- → shopify python api: how do add new assets to published theme?
- → Access 'HTTP_X_SHOPIFY_SHOP_API_CALL_LIMIT' with Python Shopify Module