Merge YAML Files With Overriding Values In List Elements
I would like to merge two YAML files that contain list elements. (A) and (B) merged into a new file (C).
I would like to override existing attribute values of the list entries in (A) if they are also defined in (B).
I would like to add new attributes to list entries if they are not defined in (A) but defined in (B).
I would also like to add new list entries of (B) as well if not present in (A).
YAML file A:
list: - id: 1 name: "name-from-A" - id: 2 name: "name-from-A"
YAML file B:
list: - id: 1 name: "name-from-B" - id: 2 title: "title-from-B" - id: 3 name: "name-from-B" title: "title-from-B"
The merged YAML file (C), I would like to produce:
list: - id: 1 name: "name-from-B" - id: 2 name: "name-from-A" title: "title-from-B" - id: 3 name: "name-from-B" title: "title-from-B"
I need this functionality in a Bash script but I can require Python in the environment.
Is there any standalone YAML processor (like yq) that can do this?
How would I implement something like this in a Python script?
You can use
ruamel.yaml python package to do it.
if you have python already installed, run following command in terminal :
pip install ruamel.yaml
python code adapted from here. (tested, and works fine) :
import ruamel.yaml yaml = ruamel.yaml.YAML() #Load the yaml files with open('/test1.yaml') as fp: data = yaml.load(fp) with open('/test2.yaml') as fp: data1 = yaml.load(fp) # dict to contain merged ids merged = dict() #Add the 'list' from test1.yaml to test2.yaml 'list' for i in data1['list']: for j in data['list']: # if same 'id' if i['id'] == j['id']: i.update(j) merged[i['id']] = True # add new ids if there is some for j in data['list']: if not merged.get(j['id'], False): data1['list'].append(j) #create a new file with merged yaml with open('/merged.yaml', 'w') as yaml_file: yaml.dump(data1, yaml_file)
- → What are the pluses/minuses of different ways to configure GPIOs on the Beaglebone Black?
- → Django, code inside <script> tag doesn't work in a template
- → React - Django webpack config with dynamic 'output'
- → GAE Python app - Does URL matter for SEO?
- → Put a Rendered Django Template in Json along with some other items
- → session disappears when request is sent from fetch
- → Python Shopify API output formatted datetime string in django template
- → Shopify app: adding a new shipping address via webhook
- → Shopify + Python library: how to create new shipping address
- → shopify python api: how do add new assets to published theme?
- → Access 'HTTP_X_SHOPIFY_SHOP_API_CALL_LIMIT' with Python Shopify Module