Is FindFirstChangeNotification The Best API To Use For File System Change Notification On Windows?
I'm new to windows programming and I'm trying to get notified of all changes to the file system (similar to the information that FileMon from SysInternals displays, but via an API). Is a FindFirstChangeNotification for each (non-network, non-substed) drive my best bet or are there other more suitable C/C++ APIs?
FindFirstChangeNotification is fine, but for slightly more ultimate power you should be using
ReadDirectoryChangesW. (In fact, it's even recommended in the documentation!)
It doesn't require a function pointer, it does require you to manually decode a raw buffer, it uses Unicode file names, but it is generally better and more flexible.
On the other hand, if you want to do what FileMon does, you should probably do what FileMon does and use IFS to create and install a file system filter.
- → OctoberCMS Backend Loging Hash Error
- → "failed to open stream" error when executing "migrate:make"
- → OctoberCMS - How to make collapsible list default to active only on non-mobile
- → Create plugin that makes objects from model in back-end
- → October CMS Plugin Routes.php not registering
- → OctoberCMS Migrate Table
- → How to install console for plugin development in October CMS
- → OctoberCMS Rain User plugin not working or redirecting
- → October CMS Custom Mail Layout
- → October CMS - How to correctly route
- → October CMS create a multi select Form field
- → How to update data attribute on Ajax complete
- → October CMS - Conditionally Load a Different Page