Cross-reference Distance Chart In SQL Server 2008 Or Excel?
I would like to cross-reference construct a distance chart similar to the one here (example is a road-distance cross-reference chart) and, ideally, store the data in SQL Server 2008 (preferably the Express version). It needs these properties / abilities
- Every column has a corresponding row with the same name (ie. not misspelled like my example).
- Changing the value at one Row-Column intersection would update the mirror intersection (Column-Row) or the mirror data could be ignored.
- The distance-values would need to be end-user editable.
- The end-user would need to be able to add, delete or rename a column/row pair.
- The end-user needs to be able to sort the columns and have the rows move automatically.
- There could be hundreds of pairs.
- a look-up query needs to find a distance given a start & destination (Row & Column)
The distance chart is reasonably straightforward to implement in Excel. Considering this, am I better off...
- Using Excel as the user editing UI and then updating an SQL 'thing' with the new data?
- Using Excel as the data-source even if it means performance issues with querying the data?
- Using an as-yet undiscovered stroke of genius detailed here in an answer?
Sure looks like an Excel application to me, start to end. (heh)
I can't imagine your users typing enough data in to make performance an issue. Excel will only take 32757 rows by ditto columns. If that's enough, I'd say you're golden.
- → How to make Laravel use my class instead of native PDO?
- → SQL: simple custom column in select doesn't work?
- → How to execute Stored Procedure from Laravel
- → Which database engine type should be specified for Microsoft SQL Database in Laravel?
- → How to troubleshoot PDOException?
- → laravel sql server stored procedure output
- → Issue with converting a date using Carbon
- → SQL microsoft query to Laravel 4.2
- → General error 20018 Cannot Continue the file execution because the session is in the Kill state
- → List names of all available MS SQL databases on server using python
- → Variable which replace DB of name in SSMS
- → Java: database connection. Where is my mistake?
- → How Can I use "Date" Datatype in sql server?