how to Install octoberCms command line
October is one of the best flexible content management system in Laravel CMS’s. It was originally desinged in 2012 for WordPress replacement and become popular among developers really fast.
The main features are that it’s easy to customize and extend, a clean UI is really hepls for building client sites while giving them a nice backend to play with.
Command line Installation
Installing October can be done using these two methods
Wizard is certainly the easiest but means that the install files have to be downloaded on your machine and then uploaded to the server.
The alternative and subject of this guide is installation directly through the command line. It is lot easier as you just need ssh details nothing more.
October CMS has some server requirements for web hosting so its better to check them first before installing October CMS.
- PHP version 7.0 or higher
- PDO PHP Extension
- cURL PHP Extension
- OpenSSL PHP Extension
- Mbstring PHP Library
- ZipArchive PHP Library
- GD PHP Library
You can check
php version by this php snippet.
You can check
extension list by this php snippet.
<?php echo "<pre>"; print_r(get_loaded_extensions()); exit();
Alos you would need
mod_rewrite to properly use SEO friendly urls (normally its enabled on servers but its good idea to check it first)
You can check enabled module list by this php snippet.
<?php echo "<pre>"; print_r(apache_get_modules()); exit();
After then we can process to installation process
1. Create Database
Simpaly we use sqlite database, so no need to do anything for now, as its very simple php can directly access it without installing any database server.
2. Install the required command files
Run this in your terminal to get the latest copy of October:
curl -s https://octobercms.com/api/installer | php
Or if you don't have curl:
php -r "eval('?>'.file_get_contents('https://octobercms.com/api/installer'));"
3. Installation Command
php artisan october:install
4. Successfull installation
5. Permission Correction
on window machine you can skip this step as it may not require permission correction
on linux or mac you can use this code to correct permission issue.
first you need to go to your website root directory
cd ~/Sites/tute.test // ^ make sure you put your root directory name here
then use this commmand
sudo chmod -R 777 storage // it will promp password for permission, // enter password and press enter it will fix permission issue. // if you get page write permission issue use this command as well sudo chmod -R 777 themes
6. Finishing Installation.
After installtion check for update and update your october CMS.
Then you can start adding new themes and plugins to make your website look more professional.
We will cover how to install october theme and plugins in next tutorials.
- → OctoberCMS Backend Loging Hash Error
- → "failed to open stream" error when executing "migrate:make"
- → OctoberCMS - How to make collapsible list default to active only on non-mobile
- → Create plugin that makes objects from model in back-end
- → October CMS Plugin Routes.php not registering
- → OctoberCMS Migrate Table
- → How to install console for plugin development in October CMS
- → OctoberCMS Rain User plugin not working or redirecting
- → October CMS Custom Mail Layout
- → October CMS - How to correctly route
- → October CMS create a multi select Form field
- → How to update data attribute on Ajax complete
- → October CMS - Conditionally Load a Different Page
- → How to disable assets combining on development in OctoberCMS